dimanche 13 avril 2014

Mountains, Shrimp and (More) Poutine

I found something that is very originally Gaspésien: shrimp poutine. Yes, shrimp poutine. Last night, for supper, we ate at Brise Bise, meaning wind breaks, a restaurant overlooking the shore. Though the bowl of fresh shrimp they had on special looked extremely tempting, I had to try the shrimp poutine. I was not disappointed. It was absolutely wonderful and a great supper after the snowshoeing we had just come back from. After the meal I ended the long day hanging out with my friends and I noticed how much my French has improved since I arrived in Gaspé. I remember that the first time I was with the same girls I had trouble following one conversation let alone the three I was able to keep up with during night. There were still a few moments where someone would say something at light speed and I wondered how anyone can understand what was being said, but overall I think I did pretty good.
Earlier on in the day, after driving for almost two hours, Charlotte, her parents and I spent the day climbing mountains in the Réserve faunique des Chic-Chocs (Chic-Chocs Wildlife Reserve). Along with fourteen others, we made it to the top of Mont Vallières-de-Saint-Réal, the highest mountain there and climbed to the peaks of the surrounding mountains. Nearing the end of the trek I gained the title of "rabbit" because, as everyone else made their way down the mountains at a walking pace, I ran down every downward slope that there was. Seeing as we were going down the mountains there were quite a few opportunities for me to run. I thought that they might have been walking down because it was dangerous to run, but the worst that happened to me was a rather fun head over heals tumble that I took after my snowshoe sank into the snow.
They day was excellent for snowshoeing. Before we left I was warned that there could be fierce winds at the peaks, but when we got tho them there was barely any. The sky was clear and, with the sun glaring down on us, it got very hot very quickly. With all the climbing we were doing I decided to take off my winter jacket and just wear my t-shirt. At the end of the day, when we were at home, we noticed that I had been slightly burned by the sun, but it was nothing compared to Charlotte's new, scarlet tinge.
While on the peak of Mont Vallières-de-Saint-Réal with the other mountains all around me and the foreign language being spoken, though I was not that far from home I felt like I was in another world. It really felt like an adventure.

Aucun commentaire:

Publier un commentaire