dimanche 16 mars 2014

Maple Syrup

I finished reading the Harry Potter books! People seem to be surprised that I can read in French or something, and even more surprised that I read the seven books in four weeks. Today I told a gentleman that I was reading the books and that I had started about two weeks after I got to Gaspé. I said that I had a hundred pages left, I had to repeat to him that I did not have a hundred pages of the first book left to read, I had a hundred pages left in the seventh book. I can now finally finish the movies (which I have also been watching in French). I don't know what I am going to start on next, I looked for La Statégie Ender (Ender's Game) at the library, but they didn't have it in French. I am not to concerned about finding a new book right away, I have plenty to do here, especially since I started drawing more and playing the piano.
Learning to play the piano has been going excellently! While here I decided to take advantage of the piano than sits invitingly in the living room, because why not? Before I came to Gaspé I remember one of my musically talented friends listening to me playing what I knew on the piano and commenting that I was playing Hot Cross Buns wrong. I decided that I should start with a song that I like, so instead of beginning by relearning Twinkle Twinkle Little Star (the only song I ever knew how to play, and that was four years ago) or something simple I decided to go for Hedwig's Theme and it is sounding awesome. Though I have been playing other songs like Frère Jacques and Vivre le Vent, I always make sure to work on Hedwig's Theme whenever I'm at the piano. 
I did not know that they made maple syrup milk. Or how maple syrup can enhance the taste of cottage cheese and Greek yogurt. Maple flavored donuts are also wonderful as well as maple cheesecake. There is also maple flavored milk and yogurt.Vol-au-vents, croissants, mille-feuille, pâté chinois and of course various types of poutine are also all things that I get to enjoy here in Gaspé. Many of the dishes we eat here are those that I have had farther West, but there are also new ones that are delicious. There is not as much seafood as I was expecting, but I did try boulettes à la morue (cod fish cakes) and had pesto trout for supper today. I don't know who invents all the different types of poutine, but I really want to try the shrimp poutine that I have heard people talk about.
There is so much to do here and I am enjoying every minute of it. My French has improved drastically and I am slightly embarrassed to admit that I only learned yesterday that I have been using a made up word for whenever I conjugated the verb "die" to the past tense. Apparently it is not "j'ai mouru, tu as mouru, il a mouru..." it is "je suis morte, tu es mort, il est mort..." How was I supposed to know? It's not like it is a verb I have to use very often. Today was busy for a Sunday and even though it is only 19 heurs (7pm) I feel like I am going to settle down and watch Harry Potter et l'Ordre du phénix before going to bed, adieu!

Aucun commentaire:

Publier un commentaire